I am a licensed professional counselor who has provided mental health and addictions services to individuals, couples, families, and groups for the past 24 years. My professional training includes Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Psychology and Counseling and a PhD in Health Psychology. My concentrations in my Master's program were Addictions and Marriage and Family, with an additional focus on abuse and trauma.
I have state and national certifications in mental health and substance abuse. I believe in a holistic approach to counseling and respect the individuality and complexity of all human beings. I view my role as collaborative and assist clients in meeting their stated goals. Whatever your presenting problem, however desperate you may feel, I am here to offer hope and assist you in your healing process.
I practice evidence-based behavioral medicine, believing that research informs effective practice, with the desire of providing the very best services to my clients.
- I have taught mindfulness and mindfulness-based practices for 22 years. Our ability to be awake and aware in our lives and truly experience moment-by-moment life is essential to mental and emotional health. When we are present and aware, we are able to make changes in our lives and progress toward wholeness and health.
- I have also taught DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) for 22 years, providing skills to clients that assists them in managing stress, coping with emotions, and effectively communicating with others.
- As a mental health therapist, I am able to help you with depression and other mood disorders, anxiety, PTSD, addictions, eating disorders, grief, and other issues that you may face (see Specializations ). I can also help with your monitoring and management of your psychiatric medications, although I am not a prescriber.
- As an addiction specialist, I can help you with substance abuse problems (alcohol/drugs), gambling, sex addiction, as well as other compulsive behaviors that you may struggle with.
- I have worked in the area of abuse and trauma since the early 1990s, and my focus in both my Master's Thesis and PhD Dissertation was in the area of sexual abuse. I have worked with domestic violence victims and victims of other types of trauma throughout my career. I practice several forms of trauma therapy including Internal Family Systems, Prolonged Exposure Therapy, Somatic Experiencing, and Cognitive Processing Therapy.
- My experience in working with couples and families is grounded in systemic thinking, with a focus on healthy communication, building healthy relationships. I offer parenting consultation and joint family processes where problems and solutions can be openly discussed.
- I have provided Anger Management and Domestic Violence (offender) services since 1995, for individuals as well as court-mandated clients. I offer skills to assist in cognitive and emotional changes, reducing the presence of angry reactions. I also teach self-calming exercises and stress management to reduce reactivity to external circumstances. I view a calm state of mind and emotions as optimal to physical health, as well as emotional and mental health.
- Because I was a Parent Custody Evaluator in Oregon for eight years, retiring from that role in 2015, I offer consultation to parents going through difficult custody processes.
I offer services in the following areas:
- Mental Health
- Marriage and Family
- Abuse and Trauma
- Anger and Domestic Violence
- Cognitive, Emotional, and Behavior Skills
Please see Specializations page to learn more about my work and experience. ?